Friday 15 March 2013

What to pack for your journey through secondary school



Today’s assembly is a tribute to our school.

We will share with you some of the invaluable lessons that we have learnt through our years here.
Many of the blue shirts you see sitting at the back there have been at this school for many years.
We even have students who have been here for more than a decade.
In that time, the school has grown at an astounding pace and all of us have not only seen that growth for ourselves but have grown along with it.
This school has given me so much in the 5 years that I have been here and I am sure that it has done the same for each and every one of us.
Annette and I will share a few anecdotes that will show our appreciation for the time we have spent at this school and a few tips on how to make the best use of your experience here at BIS.

When I first arrived at BIS in year 8, I was a shy, quiet boy, who didn't speak the most fluent English.
Since then I have grown to be an active member of our school community, Head Boy and a proud student of the graduating class of 2013. The important thing is not where I am today, but how I got here.
Secondary school is your opportunity to explore your interests, make mistakes and find your niches. Whether it is being part of a sports team, taking part in community service, or any of the other activities we have in this school, you will learn a little bit more about yourself each time. I like to believe I know myself a lot more now than I used to 5 years ago and I give some of that credit to our school community.

Its a nostalgic moment for me as I realise that my days of secondary are drawing to an end.
Looking back at all of the things that I have learnt, I begin to see that
· The most important thing that you learn in secondary school isn't what is in the textbooks in each of our classes,
· The most important thing transcends what is dictated in the syllabuses,
· The most important thing you learn in school is about yourself.
No one in this world will be able to know you better than you. The activities I have taken part in have cumulatively added to my understanding of myself today.
Being part of the Prefect Team in particular has showed me a lot about what I am today. It has highlighted and enriched and developed my interpersonal skills, my leadership abilities and communication abilities to name a few.
All of this is aided by the amazing support I receive from the attitude of the students and the teachers - one that is progressive, co-operative and supportive. 
Me having learning about myself through what I do here in school is something we can all achieve. It is made easy as our school mission statement referes to  “reflection”, which lends itself nicely as it means that we naturally tend  to learn from all the activities that we take part in.
This is merely a small portion of what I have gained from my experience of secondary school to date, so to show you what other experiences we can gain from our school Annette will share some of her personal achievements and stories.
Nicholas Yap - Head Boy


When I first set foot on the green marble staircase of our school six years ago, I was carrying an oversized backpack – inside I had my hardcover dictionary, and various other equipment.
However, I had left my self-confidence at home. I was determined to change, so I tried one audition for the role of Scrooge in the Christmas Carol and fell in love with acting. Overcoming my fear at this very early stage gave me the means to develop a passion for using it to address global issues in Model United Nations and to work with my fellow students in the never-ending goal to solve them.
Nelson Mandela once said; “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” I believe this highlights my secondary school experience.
Sometimes a simple wish, coupled with enough courage gives rise to true passion. A simple wish brought me here today to tell you about what I believe 13 years has taught me on my journey through secondary school.
Another great man, whom we know as Mr. Arch once said; “Guys, you are going to rule the world. Don’t be afraid to speak up.”
It was at that moment that I fully realized that yes, BIS. One day what we say will be quoted in the textbooks students like us will we reading.
It is inevitable that we are going to make the fundamental decisions that impact how countries, societies and families are run. So never lose confidence and belief in yourself. BIS is the training ground that allows us to take risks and experience what is or isn’t right for us.

Here are the things you should always remember to pack for this journey;
· the audacity to make decisions, accept mistakes and improve because of them.
· The tenacity to climb up when you fall and to keep dreaming.
· And most importantly, make sure you pack the sustained commitment to support each other in our community.
 For already our most valuable asset is not a list of grades or a closet full of trophies, but our ability to help, cooperate and inspire one another. It is the special ingredient that enables the IB learner profile to bear fruit.
 Our synergy permeates from the classrooms up above to everything that we do and stand for. This is BIS’s ethos – one that will remain even after old goodbyes are replaced with new hellos. So on behalf of the graduating class of 2013, Nick and I say thank you, BIS for this is a gift we will carry with us to university and beyond.
Annette Wu - Head Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment